A LONGgggg time wish when i started baking was -to make a perfect Kerala Plum Cake and finally dis Xmas i did ..oh!! am so happy it came out so YUM n Gud...my hubby really luved it ..well the credit goes to Sangeetha (from Kothiyavunu.com)..Thanx!!! for sharing such a Delicious n Easy Plum Cake recipe...Thanx once again.
Granulated Sugar - 1/2 cup
Water - 1 tbsp + 1 cup
- Heat a heavy -bottomed vessel & add the sugar with 1 tbsp water on medium high heat.You'll find that the sugar will melt & start to change colour.Don't stir,you can swirl the vessel,once or twice.When you find that the color has changed to a little darker golden brown color,turn off heat.Immediately,pour 1/2cup water VERY Carefully into the caramel & stir-mix well.Cool caramel before adding to the cake batter.(This could be made ahead & stored in the fridge for a few days)
Caraway Seeds - 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder - 1/4tsp
Nutmeg powder - 1/4tsp
Ginger powder - 1/4tsp
Cloves powder - 1/4tsp
For Cake Batter
Maida - 1 cup
Butter - 3/4cup(room temp.)
Sugar - 1cup
Baking Powder - 1tsp
Vanilla ess. - 1 tsp
Eggs - 2 (room temp.)
Tutti fruitti - 1 cup
Raisins - 1/4cup
Cashew - 1/4cup
Almonds & Walnuts - 1/4cup
Dates - 1/4cup
Dry Fig - 1/4cup (not in the original recipe..but i used it)
Rum/Wine - 1 cup or enough to soak the dry fruits
- Chop and soak the ingredients( typed in orange color) in rum/wine and keep it in a bottle overnight at room temp.(it could be prepared a month/week in advance-will taste much flavourful..rum/wine could be substituted with pineapple or orange juice..i used sweet wine here)
- Pre-heat oven @ 180 degree C.
- Sift the flour,baking powder & keep it aside.
- Separate egg yolks from white.In a separate bowl,whisk egg yolks & vanilla ess.
- Beat butter and sugar till creamy & combined well.
- Add egg yolk mixture little by little,alternating with a tbsp of sieved flour & combine till smooth.
- Pour in 1/2cup caramel syrup & all the spice powders and beat thoroughly till everything is creamy & combined.
- Add the flour in small quantities and fold in with wooden spoon.
- Drain the soaked dry fruits and add them to the above batter.
- Whisk egg whites till it forms peaks & gently fold into the Cake batter till well combined.
- Grease cake tin & line with parchment paper.Pour batter up to half of the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 45-50 min.