Urad dal(without skin) - 2 cups
Water - As required
Curd - 2 cups or more
Sugar - 2 to 3 tsp
Red Chilli Power - 1 tsp
Jeera Powder - 1 tsp
Rock salt(kala namak) - 1tsp (optional)
Pudhina (mint leaves) - a few
Oil - for deep frying
Method : -
- Wash and soak urad dal in lukewarm water for 2 hours.
- Grind dal into a fine paste .Use as little water as possible.
- Transfer the batter to a wide bowl,add salt.Mix well.
- Keep aside in fridge for a half an hour or more.(it helps in easy handling of batter and getting perfect round shape of vada)
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Wet your palm,take little batter and drop it carefully in frying pan.
- Fry 4-5 vadas at a time.
- Fry till crispy light brown colored.Drain on a kitchen towel/tissue paper.
- After frying all vadas..dip them in water for a few seconds..squeeze excess oil.
- Keep these in another bowl.
- Prepare dahi mix by- mixing dahi,red chilli powder,jeera powder ,sugar and salt/rock salt.
- Pour this mix over vadas.
- Garnish with mint leaves and sprinkle little red chilli powder n jeera powder on top .